List of Old Parishes

 

Ancient Parish Parish Church Comments
Addington St Mary the Blessed Virgin Contains records of Baptisms: 1561 – 1990, Marriages: 1561 – 1990, Burials: 1559-1996  
Ashtead St Giles An Iron Age (700 BC 43 AD) settlement was found at Ottways Lane, Ashtead   
Banstead All Saints Mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, the area called ‘Benestede’   
Barnes St Mary's At some time between 1100-1150AD, a simple rectangular chapel dedicated to St Mary close to the C12 church.  
Battersea St Mary's Battersea's written history starts in AD 693  
Beddington St Mary's The present church building was built in the late 14th and 15th centuries, there is evidence that there was a church on this site in 1085  
Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen The first known record of the church of St Mary Magdalen is around 1290  
Betchworth St Michael Betchworth has two entries in the Doomsday records (1086)  
Bletchingley St Mary the Virgin The church tower dates from 1090, The most of the rest of the Church was built by 1460.  
Buckland St Mary the Virgin The first mention of a church in Buckland is the Domesday Book of 1086.  
Burstow St Bartholomews Parts of the church of St. Bartholomew date from the 12th century.   
Camberwell St Giles The ancient parish stretched from Boundary Lane, just north of the present Albany Road, south as far as Sydenham Hill.   
Carshalton All Saints Domesday Book records the presence of a church at Carshalton.   
Caterham St. Mary the Virgin The Norman Church, St Lawrence is situated on the other side of Church Road  
Chaldon St. Peter & St. Paul Chaldon Church is of Saxon Foundation and is recorded in the Charter of Frithwald, dated 727 AD.  
Charlwood St.Nicholas' Mesolithic camps have been found dating back to 5000 BC.  St Nicholas’  church dates from 1080  
Cheam St Dunstan's Parts of Cheam may have belonged to Chertsey Abbey in the Saxon period.  
Chelsham St. Leonard St Leonards Church probably dates back to the 12th century and was originally built using flint and firestone.  
Chessington St. Mary the virgin The church of St Mary’s has stood on its hilltop position, at the corner of Church Lane and Garrison Lane, in Chessington since the twelfth century.  
Chipstead St. Margaret's The first mention of a court of the Manor of Chipstead being held was in 1234 by Roger de Clare.  
Clapham St Paul's The Parish of St Paul's Clapham is located in a diverse and ethnically mixed area of South London.  
Coulsdon St. John the Evangelist The church stands on the site of an earlier wooden church and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086  
Crowhurst St George's The Church site includes records of Baptisms, Marriages & Burials  
Croydon St John the Baptist Croydon Minster has a long and distinguished history. It is believed to have been founded in Saxon times, since there is a record of “a priest of Croydon” in 960  
Cuddington St. Mary's The name Cuddington is believed to mean “Cuda’s farm”: Cuda was perhaps an Anglo-Saxon who founded a settlement in today’s Nonsuch Park.  
Deptford St Paul Hatcham became part of Deptford, Kent Parish in 1730, though still in Surrey  
Epsom St Martin's Up till 1848 a watch-house, with a sort of wooden steeple, stood in the middle of it, where the present clock tower stands.  
Ewell St Mary's The date on which a church was first built in Ewell has not yet been established, but historians think it likely that there was one from early, possibly Saxon, times.  
Farleigh St.Mary St Mary, Farleigh,  Parish Records (1678-1954) held at the Surrey History Centre.  
Fetcham St. Mary's The nave and the north arcade of the church are probably early 11th century and the base of the tower is late 12th century.  
Gatton St Andrew This is one of the oldest parishes in Surrey   
Godstone St Nicholas Godstone was known as Walchnestead and entered into the Doomsday Book.  
Headley St. Mary's Headley is a parish with a long history but, as in the case of very many isolated settlements of Saxon and later times, very little is known of its earliest days  
Horley St Bartholomews In the Doomsday Book of 1086, the Manor was within the hundred known as Cherchefelle which in 1199 became known as Reigate.  
Horne St Mary A catalogue of the St Mary, Horne, Parish Records (1614-1931) held at the Surrey History Centre.  
Kew St Anne's The first Church on this site was built in 1714 on land given by Queen Anne, and largely at her expense  
Kingston-upon-Thames All Saints In 1921 the Chapel of Holy Trinity was dedicated as the Regimental War Memorial of the East Surrey Regiment.  
Lambeth St Mary at Lambeth From the entry in Domesday Book we know that there was a church dedicated to St. Mary in Lambeth before the Norman Conquest.  
Leatherhead St Mary's & St Nicholas The County Court was held here until Henry III (1216-72) removed it to Guildford.  
Leigh St Bartholomew A hoard of 62 Roman silver denari was discovered in a field at Swains Farm in 2004.   
Limpsfield St Peter The first record of a church in limpsfield is in the Domesday Survey in 1086.  
Lingfield St Peter & St Paul Lingfield was first mentioned in the late 9th Century.  
Long Ditton St Mary It was at the time of the Domesday Survey in Kingston Hundred.  
Malden St John the Baptist Malden appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Meldone, held partly by William de Wateville and partly by Robert de Wateville.  
Merstham St Katherine The village lay within the Reigate hundred, an Anglo-Saxon glo-Saxon administrative division. Its name was recorded in 947 as Mearsætham  
Merton St Mary the Virgin The River Wandle flowing north towards Wandsworthandsworth, had for centuri watermills driven watermills and provided water for a number of industrial processes.  
Mickleham St Michael and all Angels Ninety Victorian workmen, 'considered navvies' died in an accident when a tunnel they were working on collapsed, through Norbury Park, within the parish.  
Mitcham St Peter & St Paul During her reign Queen Elizabeth (the first) made at least five visits to the area.  
Morden St Lawrence Human activity in Morden dates back to the Iron age  period when Celticeltic tribes are known to have occupied the area.  
Mortlake St Mary's The history of Mortlake is for the most part the history of the manor and of the great Tapestry Works.  
Newdigate St Peter From Saxon times much of the parish of Newdigate had belonged to the manor of East Betchworth  
Newington St Mary's The parish of St Mary's is located in South London where Elephant & Castle, Kennington and Walworth meet  
Nutfield St Peter & St Paul St Peter and St Paul's church is the parish church of Nutfield. It is mentioned in the Domesday book and so is thought to be of Saxon or Norman foundation.  
Oxted St Mary's The town lay within the Anglo-Saxon Tandridge hundred. Oxted appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Acstede  
Petersham St Peter The earliest record of Petersham is in 666 in the context of an endowment by Frithwald, Viceroy of Surrey,  
Putney St Mary's Putney Village has grown from a single residence in the 1700’s, to the desirable location it is today.  
Reigate St Mary Magdalen There are neolithic flint mines on the ridge of the North Downs above Reigate.  
Richmond St Mary Magdalen The area now known as Richmond was formerly part of Shene. Shene was not listed in Domesday Book, although it is depicted on the associated maps as Sceon  
Rotherhithe St Mary the Virgin The present parish church, replacing a 12th century building, was completed in 1716.  
Sanderstead All Saints Presence of man as far back as the Mesolithic Period nearly 12000 years ago, as well as pottery fragments dated between 100 AD - 1300 AD was found in Sanderstead.  
Southwark Southwark Cathedral Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds urial mounds and ritual activity.  
Streatham St Leonard's Streatham appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Estreham  
Sutton St Nicholas An ancient parish in the county of Surrey , Sutton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having two churches and two acres of meadow at that time.  
Tandridge St Peter Variant spellings such as in feet of finesthe Crown and other overlords whenever rights or lands of manors were in a significant way parted with) include Tenrige; Tanerig, Tanerigge, Tanrich, Tenrig and Tenrugge in the es..  
Tatsfield St Mary N Anglo-Saxon England, Tatsfield lay within Tandrige hundred. In 1086 it was held by Anschitill (Ansketel) de Ros from the Bishop of Bayeux,shop of Bayeux  
Thames Ditton St Nicholas The first written record of Thames Ditton is in a charter dated 983 when King Æthelred granted to Æthelmær, his minister, nine hides (cassati) at Thames Ditton, Surrey.  
Titsey St James The Romans left their mark at Titsey and there are two Roman sites, including the ruin of a villa (scheduled monument) in Titsey Park.  
Tooting Graveney St Nicholas Tooting in the Norman period, it came into the possession of the De Gravenel family, after whom it was named Tooting Graveney.  
Walton-on-the-Hill St Peter The Romansomans are known to have settled here in the 1st century AD  
Wandsworth All Saints As far back as the 13th century, there has been a church on the site of what is today All Saints.  
Warlingham All Saints All Saint's church dates from about 1250 AD when it was built by Gregory, the Vicar at that time  
Wimbledon St Mary's Wimbledon has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age when the hill fort on Wimbledon Common, the second-largest in London, is thought to have been constructed.  
Woldingham St Paul The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon administrative division of Tandridge hundred. It appears in Domesday Bookomesday Boo k of 1086 as Wallingeham  
Woodmansterne St Peters The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon hundred of Wallingtond of Wallington which served for strategic meetings of elders and manor owners in the various kingdoms  

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information